January 31, 2008

Sports fandom increases your risk of a heart attack

You've got to feel sorry for Bears fans, because apparently if you wear clothing sporting that classic "C" logo, you're probably going to cut your life expectancy in half.

According to a German study, sports fans face an increased risk of heart attacks. Who new SNL and Chris Farley were preaching the truth?

But this really shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. Step back and think what people do when they actually go and watch sports.

"Hmmm, alright just got to the ballpark, man it's nice to relax after pulling a 40-hour work week, didn't even get a chance to go to the gym. Oh, who am I kidding, I haven't been to the gym since I graduated from college.

Alright well, now I'm walking up the outer concourse to the upper deck because I couldn't afford the $400 field level seats. Boy this is a windy, and long. Man I can barely breath. Oh good, I made it, now I'm kind of hungry, man I think I'll buy some of these hot dogs covered in nacho cheese and stuffed into bacon grease soaked bread. How about a couple of pretzels and that butter-soaked popcorn is looking delicious too. This is going to be good. Yummy!

It was like that time I had a Super Bowl Party and me and my five friends downed eight large pizzas, a 30-bomb of keystones and more hamburgers than a McDonalds franchise. Boy that was fun. Okay, now I'm at my seat and I'm going to yell at the top of my lungs for the next three hours."


It's rather ironic that we're watching physically fit people, but in the process, getting more unfit ourselves. Does anyone actually do anything on Sunday anymore when you have three flat screens all turned to a different football game. No, you have to track your fantasy football team, you can't move from your recliner.

And let's not talk about the stress that watching your team blow it in the playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment