February 25, 2008

When I grow up, I want to throw stuff

Mullets are great. A classic hair cut that really says you have guts. Not just any guy can pull off the mullet look. So when a world record holder in the javelin breaks the world record for the mullet throw, my interest was perked. I pictured a dude throwing his mullet around. Little did I know that a mullet, is also a fish.

Every year there is a mullet throwing competition. Here's the official description:

"A Mullet Toss consists of individuals on the beach throwing a mullet, from a 10-foot circle in Alabama across the state line into Florida."

Well, Roald Bradstock of Britain did it. He broke the world record in his age group (he's 45) for throwing a mullet. He hurled a wet, dead mullet 169 feet and 9 inches.

And if that wasn't an accomplishment in itself, he later set the world record for throwing an ipod. He chucked his 154 yards. Yeah, crazy.

But if iTunes keeps acting up, I my be attempting to beat his record with a toss of my own.

Back to the mullet toss though. My question is, why do the people in Alabama throw the fish into Florida? Do they know that their state is really lame? Maybe the Alabamans are just jealous that Florida is a huge vacation hotspot. Or that Florida has Disney World. Yeah, that must be it.

We here at Just South of North are very interested in participating in a mullet toss. Here's the flyer if you would like to go. But sadly, we haven't been training. Maybe next year.

1 comment:

  1. how does one go about practicing for the mullet toss? Maybe, you could put a hook and line in its mouth...throw it as hard as you can, and reel it back in. You'd never have to go chasing the mullet! how sweet would that be?

    ReplyDelete