March 11, 2008

Montana or just Hannah

This past weekend I spent my time in a town called Billings, Montana. No, I wasn't there for fun, I was there for work. Haha. Fun, in Montana? Yeah, you are funny.

Anyway, while traveling for what seemed about 400 hours through the state, I realized there are some things people may not know about the Montana.

10. The state is huge. Much too large to be one state. I am thinking East Montana, and West Montana. Wait, scrap that.

Then there would be two Montanas and that is just too much to deal with.

9. If you ever get the chance to go down highway 212, take it. Endless conversation starters.

8. The roads in Montana aren't covered with gravel when it gets icy. And nope, not salt. In Montana they use small boulders. No joke. It's like driving on a back country road. Only it was I-90.

7. Despite being lame, South Dakota actually makes it look cool. Kinda like the how having a dopey little brother works for your advantage.

6. The Midwest isn't called the "fly over" states for nothing.

5. The movie, "Dances With Wolves" was filmed in South Dakota. I know that has nothing to do with Montana, but I saw it on a billboard while driving.

4. I also saw a duck.

3. Hannah Montana made that state cool. Until then, school children thought it was a providence of Canada.

2. We should sell it to Canada. Oh, and South Dakota too. Throw in Wyoming and make it a buy 2 get 1 free sale.

1. There is a reason Lewis and Clark kept going. And didn't just call it a trip in Montana.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness, I detect your beef with Montana goes far deeper than the hugely successful Hannah Montana shows. Like both sides of Washington, Eastern and Western Montana are drastically different. In regard to Lewis and Clark passing through the state, it should be noted that this was where they found the headwaters of the Missouri River (near Three Forks), and this is the home state of their guide Sacajawea. AND this is where they first encountered the Rocky Mountains - in essence, this is where their story just got interesting. It probably then is no coincidence that their journal entries through the state were the most vivid and descriptive. The interstate is brutal in Montana, I give you that. Most locals call neighboring states 'Nancies' because they don't have to deal with the boulders. While Billings, Miles City, and the like reside in dull and flat country, towns like Bozeman, Helena and Kalispell are home to some of the best outdoor recreational pursuits in the country - a stark difference from being boring. In fact, it was Bozeman that was just named 'Best Micropolitan City in the Country' by some snobby magazine I didn't dare to read through. In short, Montana offers a multitude of options for people from all walks off life.

    That is, unless you're talking about Missoula. It's full of Grizzly fans. Screw Missoula. Missoula is Canada, Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While traveling through Montana, I noticed how there seemed to be a Lewis and Clarke memorial every 10 miles. My all-knowing Grandfather explained to me that they put up a memorial at every spot Lewis and Clarke stopped to take a piss.

    ReplyDelete