June 11, 2008

Tornado sirens suck


I am writing this from a basement. Being located in Lincoln, Nebraska, I figure I could have expected tornadoes. But this is insane.

The sirens are going. And incase you have never had the luck of hearing one, they sound exactly like the creatures from War of the Worlds. A high pitch screech that seems to be coming from all around.

Just about every channel is showing coverage of these storms. Growing up in the Pacific Northwest, I have have never seen anything like this. It is just crazy. And the basement of my apartment smells kinda funny.

The sky is super dark (no, not cause the sun set) there is tons of thunder and lightening. And it is torrential down pouring. The weather guy said that it is good as long as it keeps raining, cause the rain stops the clouds from creating an up swirl and thus a tornado.

Hopefully no hail comes, but the roads everywhere are flooding. And the tempature has just plumeted. It was about 85 degrees 30 minutes ago. Now it is about 65.

There are sirens going off everywhere. Now I can't hear the tornado sirens because of all the firetrucks, police and ambulances. It is raining so hard you can only see about 10 feet in front of you.

I will post this as soon as I can get back upstairs. Until then, I will sit in this odd smelling basement and hope the monsters that are making that noise don't show up.

2 comments:

  1. I remember being in Eastern Montana and being forced down into a cellar cuz of one of those darn things. Nothing crazier than seeing the clouds start to swirl. Lucky for the twister, it ended up touchin down a few miles away, cuz otherwise I would have beat it up and punched it away

    ReplyDelete