Here's what's at stake in the game. The interesting part of that story is when it says that USC fans may be rooting for Oregon State so they can go to a bowl game other than the Rose Bowl.
But if the Beavers do make history and snap that nasty Rose Bowl-less streak we'll see something for the first time since...
- A U.S. Air Force jet training plane that strays into East Germany, is shot down by Soviet fighters near Erfurt; all 3 crew men are killed.
- Ranger 6 is launched by NASA, on a mission to carry television cameras and crash-land on the Moon.
- The Beatles vault to the #1 spot on the U.S. singles charts for the first time, with "I Want to Hold Your Hand," forever changing the way popular music sounds, also starting the British Invasion in America.
- The Government of the United States authorized the Twenty-fourth Amendment outlawing the poll tax.
- The first Ford Mustang rolls off the assembly line at Ford Motor Company.
- Some 400-1,000 students march through Times Square, New York and another 700 in San Francisco, in the first major student demonstration against the Vietnam War. Smaller marches also occur in Boston, Seattle, and Madison, Wisconsin.
- Jim Bunning Pitches a Perfect Game for the Philadelphia Philllies.
- The Vatican condemns the female combined oral contraceptive pill.
- President Lyndon Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act of 1964 into law. (Racial segregation is now abolished in the United States.)
- At the Republican National Convention in San Francisco, U.S. presidential nominee Barry Goldwater declares that "extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice", and "moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue".
- Bob Dylan turns The Beatles on to cannabis for the first time
... in other words, the Oregon State Beavers have sucked for a very, very long time.