January 15, 2009

Attack of the Sugar Gliders!!


Until recently I had never heard of a Sugar Glider (Petaurus breviceps) but once I did I was in pursuit of more information. They are very small, very cute marsupials that get there nickname "Sugar Glider" because they prefer sweet foods and they glide through the air like Flying Squirrels (not to be confused with the Mary Baldwin College type).
Sounds great as a pet right? Well hold that thought until you hear some drawbacks on these little guys. First of they are nocturnal so when you want to play with them they are asleep and when you want to sleep they want to play (noisy!). Also they are social animals so it is suggested if you decide to own one that you get a companion for it. Oh yeah and they also bite, pee and poop all over the place, and require a large cage since they move around a lot.
Even though these animals are cute and really cool I suggest really doing some research before deciding to get one...I mean two, because a large percentage of Sugar Gliders are abandoned within a year.
Go Mary Baldwin College!!!

2 comments:

  1. I want to start a Sugar Glider farm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Swarley, that's just silly. I have a better idea...Lets go to the mall, today!

    ReplyDelete