January 29, 2009

The great debate: Powerade or Gatorade

Having been a high school football waterboy, I have long stood by the sports drink staple of Gatorade.

And considering that Gatorade has over 80 percent of the sports drink market, you kind of would expect that. I mean look around to all the sporting events and it's the green stuff - which was originally developed for the Florida Gators football team who kept getting dehydrated.

This was before the Tim Tebow cyborg walked onto campus.

However, yesterday I took a chance with Powerade, seeing that it was on sale and that they had a regular grape flavor. Being a sucker for grape, I had to go with it and the result was sheer bliss.

It was launched in 1988 by Coca Cola as a counter-product to Pepsi Co. which owns the rights to Gatorade.

I can't believe I've been drinking Gatorade, in ignorance, for all these years and ignoring the perfection that is Grape Powerade.

The one gripe I always had with Gatorade is that it was a tad on the sweet side, so it would almost overpower the taste of food you were eating. Luckily, Powerade doesn't do that, it's somewhat sedated, yet still flavorful.

What do you guys think?

1 comment:

  1. I think your opinion is wrong. There is one good flavor of Powerade: Arctic Shatter.

    There is one not good flavor of Gatorade: Blue.

    ReplyDelete