March 23, 2009

Old at the ripe age of 23 years

Somebody told me that they feel old at 24, which certainly perked my interest because I'm currently sitting at the interesting age of 23. And you may have saw that article I posted a few days back about how our mental capacity diminishes after age 27.

This is that weird zone of life where I'm not longer a kid, but I'm certainly not a grown up.

Why? The biggest investment I make these days is a haircut every three weeks. I got excited when I saw they were making a G.I. Joe movie. When I was shooting for State B basketball, somebody mistook me for a high schooler.

So hey, I've got a long ways to go before I'm looking to get my AARP card. However, there are certain signs that things are changing. First, the St. Patty's Day party I went to wound down at about 1 a.m. with really no fault to anyone (to be fair we started at 5 p.m. - so we had plenty of drinking in) - but I remember the days when three to four in the morning were the norm. Second, my boss ask me if I had kids when I started working, which kind of threw me off guard because my responsibility level probably forbids me from ever having kids - but the mere thought of it was startling.

And another sure sign that I'm getting older. All my friends are getting pets. Not kids, because you can get kids when your 16 or 42... I mean if it happens, it happens. Some of my friends have kids, some of them don't - you really can't judge you point in life of that watermark. However, if all your friends are getting pets, well that means they're ready to take on extra responsibility in their life.

You really can't go on vacation without finding a sitter, you have to constantly clean up after them, you have to feed them. Yikes, no way I could do that.

So maybe I'm not getting old in spirit. In fact, I'm sure I still have plenty of chasing down Olympic speed skaters, spraying cans of raid into people's faces and telling Big Sky basketball players that they look like Gary Coleman in me. No way I'm getting old that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment