March 29, 2009

Seattle Sounders FC equal Mariners win total from last season

Okay, that's a bit on an overstatement but the last time an MLS expansion team started the season 2-0 they went on to win the league championship. Not to break out the champagne just two games in, but it is nice to see a Seattle sports team do good this year for a change.

Last night the Sounders beat Real Salt Lake 2-0 with one goal coming from the fine man to the right of this article. Fredy Montero already has three goals in two games - which is pretty awesome in soccer, I hear. Seattle Goalkeeper Kasey Keller (not to be confused with our very own Casey Knopik, who couldn't stop a soccer ball from hitting a fly) had his second shutout of the season and is playing well.

It was also the second consecutive sellout for the Sounders, 28,548, who braved the damp conditions to watch the game. Keep in mind we're in a down economy, and it's soccer in America, and the NCAA Tournament was going on in the same time.

Yeah I'd say the Sounders have some fan support, for now at least.

2 comments:

  1. I love him!
    Seriously him/that exhibition game of Chelsea vs. Seattle made me become a soccer fan. That was two days ago and I am already a fanatic. But it helps that my whole family loves soccer I guess haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fredy is AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete