April 26, 2009

An awful confession...

If there's one team I hate above all others in minor league sports, it's the Tri-City Americans. From their fans and cowbells to their players and coaches, nothing makes me happier than when the Spokane Chiefs get the best of their bitter rivals and the Ams fans who make the two-hour trek east have to drive home with a loss under their belts.

But it's with great regret that I'm looking forward to the upcoming Northwest League baseball season so I can root for... the Tri-City Dust Devils.

Sure, I still hate driving through Kennewick, Pasco and Richland and really don't like anything about that place, but for the purposes of this season, and perhaps beyond, I'm switching allegiances for three reasons:

1) Mike Boyle is their play-by-play announcer. Who in Spokane is not a huge Mike Boyle fan? The guy is a local legend in the broadcast booth and the fact he takes his talents down to the Tri-Cities definitely makes me want to be a fan. I can just picture tuning into a must-win game for the Double D's and hearing Boyle's call as a walk-off home run gives Tri-City the title. Yes, please.

2) The MLB affiliate of the Dust Devils is the Colorado Rockies. I don't particularly have a favorite National League team, but if I did, I would probably choose the Rockies. Heck, why not? But the Indians affiliate is the Texas Rangers, who I only root for when they're playing the Mariners or Yankees. If the Red Sox had a short-season club in the NWL, I wouldn't even be writing this, but since they don't and I figure I need a team (and an area one at that) and like Colorado more than Texas, I'll take the Rockies' affiliate.

3) I was last season's "Bad Luck Fan" for the Spokane Indians. While working with HomeTeam Sports, the players and front office members of the Indians treated us very well and were great people to interact with. But when I was at Avista Stadium on my time, nothing went right. The Indians won the championship last year, going through the regular season with the league's best record (51-25). But when I was in the park, Spokane went 1-7. Seeing as I'd rather not be associated with a club because that team constantly loses in my presence, I feel the need to take my allegiances elsewhere. Starting in 2009, those allegiances will be with the Tri-City Dust Devils.

Yeah, I've lived in the Lilac City since I was 6 and my Chiefs loyalties will never waver, but this isn't hockey. Just because I root for the Red Sox over the Yankees doesn't mean I root for the Bruins over the Rangers. And just because I want the Chiefs to throttle the Ams 12 times a year doesn't mean I want the Indians to do the same to the Dust Devils.

And I don't. Go Tri-City.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, how could you not root for a team with the nickname, "Aquasox?"

    They're mascot is tree frog for gosh sakes!

    Personlly, I think minor league baseball clubs have the best mascots. How about those Wenatchee Applesox?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, this "confession" isn't half as troubling as your open love of the Red Sox. Fricking Beantown... D'oh! The only thing I like about Beantown is that I work for the company that screwed up the big dig.

    ReplyDelete