April 27, 2009

Washington Huskies Weekly Update

The UW football team finally won a game. Well I guess they couldn't lose since they were playing themselves in coach Steve Sarkisian's first spring game as head coach for the purple and gold. It was a lopsided affair as the Purple team beat the White team 33-0.

I was at the game (a friend of mine took pictures and has promised to send them to me soon, so I will post them when I get them), and even though it was my first Husky spring game, I did walk away impressed with the turnout and how excited all the fans were. Jake Locker looked really good, especially after coming back from a broken thumb and playing in a new offense. Locker completed 16 of 18 passes and had his receivers held on to the other two passes he would have been perfect. Granted this was the spring game and they were going against the no. 2 defense but it was great to see how efficient Locker was.

Other than Locker, I was impressed with Jermaine Kearse (My friend Lisa gave him the evil eye after he dropped the first pass thrown to him) who ended up catching 5 passes for 70 yards and a touchdown at the end of the game. Chris Polk was also impressive in running for 95 yards on 12 carries and scoring a touchdown. Polk had a lot of room to run on sweeps and Off Tackle plays.

After the game fans had 30 minutes to go out on the field and get autographs and photos with players and coaches. We got in on some photos with Coach Sarkisian, Jake Locker and a giant of a man, Offensive Lineman Ben Ossai, who seemed happy to see us because he could stand up to get his photo taken instead of kneeling down to get shots with the kids.

All in all it was a great day (weather could have been better, but in Seattle when couldn't you say that) and the game gave me a football fix that should hold me until NFL camps start opening in July.

In other Washington Huskie news the Pac-10 Men's Golf Championships start today and continue until Wednesday here in Seattle. If you get a chance head over to the Seattle Golf Club to root on the 5th ranked Huskies.

2 comments:

  1. Boy, it's going to be fun watching the Cougars defeat the Huskies at their home stadium next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it will be even more fun to watch Paul Wulff walk around all season on the sideline with a hat that is 3 sizes too small.

    ReplyDelete