January 15, 2011

Taiwan Jones could be second or third-round pick

Well no wonder he left, Taiwan Jones is actually pretty highly touted by the NFL.

Jones said he submitted information to the NFL Draft Advisory Committee by a Dec. 15 deadline in order to get a projection of where he might be drafted. The response he received was second or third round, and that helped in his decision to declare for the draft by the Jan. 15 deadline. But it wasn't the only response that mattered.

"Even with the positive response I received, my decision was still hard for me to make," Jones said. "My biggest concern was that I felt like I was letting my teammates down by leaving early. But they gave me a lot of support in making this decision and I appreciate that."

Although unable to play in EWU's last 2 1/2 games of the season because of a foot injury, Jones led the team to a 13-2 record and the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision title. He rushed for 1,742 yards and 14 touchdowns in 12 games in 2010, and averaged 7.9 yards per carry in his 24-game career as a running back.

"I felt like I made the best decision as far as being able to help my family and do something I've always dreamed of," said Jones. "I get to do something that I love."

Everyone was a bit concerned about his leaving, but watching the guy play, he's certainly ready for the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment