March 21, 2008

I believe that school is just South of North

OK. OK. I'll admit it. I've been watching basketball every chance I get. But perhaps the best thing about the tournament has been the radio commercials.

There is one, that makes fun sports fans who jump on a bandwagon and have no idea where there school is located.

Such schools include: Gonzaga, Drake, Marquette, Xavier, American, etc.

I had my own run in with such a bandwagon fan the other day. He was walking around the UNL campus sporting his Gonzaga hat. I asked him why the Gonzaga hat? (Cause in this state if your hat isn't red and doesn't sport a white "N" on it, you are a minority)

He said he was a big Gonzaga fan. So I (being the smartass I am) followed up with, "Do you know where Gonzaga is?"

The kid looked at me as if I had just asked him where his nose was on his face. "It's in Northern California." He snapped back.

"Wrong," I say. "Spokane, Washington."

And to that, he came back with perhaps the most overused comeback of all time, "Yeah, well your mom knows where that is."

Worst. Comeback. EVER.

So before you pick the team you're going to root for during all of March Madness, at least make sure you know where they are located.

On a side note, I did not know that Portland State University is the largest, public university in Oregon until yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. "Your mom goes to college!"

    - Kip Dynamite

    ReplyDelete