May 30, 2008

Mariner fans, read this


This is a blog by long-time Boston Red Sox fan and fellow EWU student, Dylan Kitzan, about Mariner fans. It definitely hits the nail on the head with Seattle fans and as a Boston fan myself, I've got to say that I really appreciate it.

However, I'd also like to point out that I neither have the family and residential ties to Boston as Dylan does, but I did have to suffer through having a Yankee fan as a roommate for a year in the dorms at EWU (He decided to be a New York fan once he got to college) and hearing him gloat about the Aaron Boone homerun in the ALCS while he skipped the World Series for the season finale of "Friends"

Anyways, since I don't think I can link to Dylan's MySpace blog, I'm going to post it in its entirety.

M’s fans...almost all of you are the same

Losing two in a row to the Mariners is rough...especially when they're among the worst in baseball. That said, though, it does have its silver linings. For instance...

I woke up this morning to the top story on the sports page of the Spokesman reading "Suddenly-streaking Mariners beat Boston" followed by a deck of "Two victories in two nights? My oh my!"

This is too easy, especially when I turn the page to see Seattle is still tied with the San Diego Padres at 20-34, the worst record in the game. I love how the Mariners and their fans get excited during these times. The only thing lower than their standards is their chance of clawing out of the AL West cellar.

Or.....I go to my English 201 class today (save the personal attacks...I know I'm 23 and a fifth-year senior) and the teacher calls on me to say my final paper thesis in front of the class. So I do (if you're interested, it's "Steroid users should be allowed into the Baseball Hall of Fame because they helped save the game, have worthy statistics and played on a relatively fair playing field.") and this girl in class gives me the offended "Ugh!" sound, looks at me, and says "How'd you like that series?" (she saw my Sox hat).

It's a shame I'm a nice guy, because I had so many scathing remarks for her that I could have made her cry. Instead, and regretfully, I bit my tongue and let her have her moment. I'm sure it cracks her Top 5 Mariner moments of the year, which I have ranked as follows:

5) Acquiring Erik Bedard, Carlos Silva and Brad Wilkerson. Save for Bedard, that offseason screams first place, huh? Kudos to anyone who knows where Wilkerson is now without looking it up.

4) The Mariners having a winning record (granted it was last on April 2nd when Seattle was 2-1).

3) Mariners winning 2 in a row at home against a Red Sox team which is 11-19 on the road.

2) During fan appreciation week, the organization put on a Fan-Team game in which she went 3-for-4 with a pair of home runs off starter Jarrod Washburn to lead the fans to an 11-5 victory. Fan starting pitcher Nick Fairfax escaped a bases-loaded jam in the fifth when he got Richie Sexson to swing and miss at yet another breaking ball....or was it a fastball....mighta been a changeup...doesn't really matter.

1) Sexson hitting .200 this late into a season for the first time in two years (when he cracked the Mendoza line at .206).

Alright, I made one of those up. I swear it wasn't number 1 though. I know you don't believe me.

Anyway, you get the idea. If you're a Mariners fan, let me save you from watching baseball and reading news outlets for the next 10 months and listen to me, because this is going to happen.

Seattle will go from June through September, win 48 of their last 108, finish with a record of 68-94 and will try to patch holes in their roster by signing Mark Hendrickson, Kip Wells and Emil Brown to lucrative, multi-year deals. Bill Bavasi, ladies and gentlemen!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forget the potential trade for Ken Griffey! That would set us back another five years, but would sell some tickets in the mean time!

    The problem with sport is that people make their sport teams iconic in nature. There's nothing really wrong with that - it's what makes sports what they are. The problem is that it doesn't occur across the entire realm - while it may happen with fans of teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Cubs (of which we are all beyond tired of hearing about), I have my doubts that you'll find it with teams like the Mariners, Padres or Marlins. Those who idolize their teams thus make it awkward for those who do not (myself included). I, being a Mariner fan, am certainly frustrated by my teams lack of success this year. Having defeated the Red Sox brings a sense of semi-vindication to what has been an otherwise lousy season. Sexson has been awful. Bedard has been one of the very semi-bright spots. Does this mean I'm going to begin a culture war with Red Sox by arguing about the value of each team? Dream on. That's a place that Mariner fans have no business treading upon, as we would get eaten alive by fans who have a lifetime of tradition to cling to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to insult the Red Sox (or any historical team for that nature). However, does this mean that I like my Mariners any less than a Sox fan loves his Sox? That's an unmeasurable statistic. The point is, I still love my Mariners - they could go 0-162, and I'd still root for them. I might belly-ache a bit, but I would still find myself rooting for them next season. Just because we don't have such a rich history as Boston (an area that Yankee fans have field days with) doesn't mean we don't have the right to celebrate the few times our Mariners have had success.

    ReplyDelete