September 10, 2008

Back on the Market


I have been a faithful Seattle Seahawks fan for 23 years now. I have loved them when they were horrible and I couldn't watch a home game thanks to the NFL blackout rule. (I grew up 42 miles from Seattle so it falls in the 100 mile blackout radius of non-soldout games). I would instead listen to them on the radio.
I was a Seahawk fan when nobody else was. And I figured I always would be. Until their latest actions. No, I'm not talking about the loss. As a Seahawks fan I have gotten used to the losses. Instead I am talking about the players they just cut. One of which was my favorite: Ryan Plackemeier.

Plackemeier joined the team from Wake Forest and not only did he have a cool name, but he was a punter. And nobody's favorite player is ever the punter, so he became mine.

It wasn't his fault the Hawks lost by 24 points to the Bills. But I guess Holmgren needed someone to blame the loss on. Heaven forbid he blame it on his quarterback Matt Hasselbeck who was just plain awful during the loss. Or the defense that gave up 34 points.

They also released Justin Forsett. This move makes no sense. With all the injuries at receiver and Mo Morris out, who will return punts? Yeah, let's get rid of the one guy who did the best during pre-season at that position.

But the Hawks had hoped to place Forsett, who did amazing all preseason long, on their practice squad. But the Colts saw he was availible and snatched him up. Good for him. And good for the Colts. Stupid Seahawks.

The release of these two players caused me to have flashbacks to 2002 when the Hawks let go of the best punt and kickoff returner in franchise history in Charlie Rogers. In just three seasons with the Hawks he covers the return records. He was my favorite player, yet they let him get scooped up by the Houston Texans when they came into the league.

Because of the release of Ryan Plackemeier, I don't know if I can be a Seahawks fan anymore. So, I am taking suggestions on who will be my new favorite team. Here are a few exceptions:

I have loved the Colts since Manning joined them 11 years ago. That was because I liked him at Tennessee. So I have become used to them being my second favorite team. Let's find me a new favorite team.

No Cowboys, Raiders, Packers, Bears, Patriots or Steelers: Cause I hate all those teams WAY too much to ever like them.

No Broncos: Cause that's my girlfriend's favorite team and besides, who likes Denver anyway?

No Giants: Cause people only like them outside of New York cause they won a Super Bowl.

No Dolphins, Chiefs, Falcons, Lions, 49ers, Cardinals or Rams: Cause these teams are just terrible.

No Vikings, Panthers, Saints or Bengals: Too many fair weather fans each year.

No Titans: That's Brandon's team. Don't even want to touch that one.

No Texans: Don't like that state.

No Jets, Bills, Eagles or Ravens: Don't want to like an East Coast team.

No Browns: Who likes the Browns?

No Redskins: That's my dad's favorite team. Can't like them too.

No Jaguars or Buccaneers: Again, east coast and Florida.

That leaves me with just one team.

They are a west coast team. And have the sweetest powder blue uniforms. I guess I am now a SAN DIEGO CHARGERS fan.

So Chargers first, then Colts second. I like this. So long Seahawks, I'll always hold a special place in my heart for you. And who knows, once Holmgren leaves, maybe we can see each other again.

Until then, you will be my 3rd team. Sad day.

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely crazy! When I first read about who the next fav team would be, I instantly thought the Chargers.

    I've always been partial to the Chargers...I don't know why. Maybe it's because LT is exciting to watch. Maybe it's because I hate Eli Manning and when he bailed on them, I was very happy to see they landed Rivers. Maybe it's because Merriman (although out now) is a heck of a dynamic defensive player. Plus...I mean come on...who DOESN'T love the city that means whale's vagina?

    Go chargers

    ReplyDelete
  2. who DOESN'T love the city that means whale's vagina?

    Fans who root for teams that have won a Super Bowl.

    I'm Ron Burgandy?

    ReplyDelete