December 28, 2008

I'm a jerk, I hate crying babies

If there is one thing I've learned during the Holidays, it's that everyone loves babies. It seems like sometimes parents parade them around like Paris Hilton flaunts that dog of hers that's roughly the size of her brain.

And they certainly should show off their kids, because parents (a) get absolutely no sleep and should get some credit for that and (b) who wants to hide their kid like Quasimodo? Why wouldn't you show off your kid unless it has red hair?

However, there's one thing I simply cannot appreciate: crying babies. Now I understand that babies cry and they cry a lot. But why should the rest of us be subjected to listening to your kid cry in public over and over and over again.

If I'm at a movie, church or in some sort of public capacity that requires me to pay attention to something, I know that chances are, somebody's kid is going to start crying. But if they start crying... take them outside, and try to calm them down. Don't just stand around, quietly going "Shhhhhhhhh" and patting them on the back while they scream bloody murder.

And people that take babies to movies is beyond me... what? Are they going to take notes on the characters for you?

So the main thing is that it's no so much a singular crying event that bugs me, it's a parents refusal to either deal with the crying by taking them outside or their complete oblivious nature towards everyone giving them the dirty eye.

So call me a grump, this is my old man rant of the day. Tomorrow I will be ranting about puppies.

1 comment:

  1. You're not a jerk, I'm annoyed by people who let their babies cry in a place where they are distracting others too. Those people are right up there with the people who let their kids run through a restaurant or store making a ruckus and think it's "cute". Very annoying.

    Here comes my cranky rant, when I was young we were expected to behave in public. If we didn't we didn't get to stay. Seems pretty simple to me.

    ReplyDelete