April 30, 2009

Sites and sounds

Today seems to be about outdoors. Maybe that's a sign that it's Thursday almost time to hit the trail for the weekend.

Well, the nice weather brings out lots of people and creatures. A few weeks ago I did a post about creatures I wouldn't want to run into while hiking. Today's list is the Top 10 things I wish I NEVER would have seen in the wild:

10. The guy in the cut off jean shorts jogging up the hill. Keep in mind, he wasn't a small man.

9. The prairie dog that bit me. Ok, that one is a fib. I like that little guy. It makes for a funny story.

8. A dead elk that had fallen into a creek and broke his neck. Just think, down stream we would wading through that same water. Icky.

7. Litter. I hate litter.

6. Smokey running for his life. That can only mean one thing. FIRE!

5. Hippies doing the nasty. I hear they like to fornicate in the woods. Well not in my woods!

4. A crazy lady carrying a backpack, and two suitcases 17 miles from the closest trailhead. (This one is a story for another time. But trust me, it's good)

3. Mosquitoes.

2. Big foot. Well this one wasn't documented proof, but when I was young, in my tent, alone, in the woods, I swear big foot came up to it outside. It was either that, or an elk. But big foot is the most logical guess.

1. The full moon. Well, it turned out just to be an old guy bathing in an alpine lake along the Pacific Crest Trail. That image is still burned into my mind.

1 comment:

  1. That picture is a direct cartoonization of what it's like for me when I'm camping. Bugs eat me alive, anyone who has a problem with bug bites has no problem if I'm with them.

    ReplyDelete