June 5, 2009

Hot summer nights and why they suck

So in all the years of my life, I've spent them in:

1. A log cabin with one air-conditioning unit that we turned on sometimes. SOMETIMES. Most of the times my parents would tell me to just go jump into the lake.

2. A cabin out in the humid Maryland Eastern Shore. No AC. Plenty of snakes, bugs I wasn't use to, Jason Vorhees, no television, no radio, dial up Internet and plenty of camp counselor mischief to get into.

3. A basement apartment with no AC. But since it was a basement apartment, and since I couldn't afford electricity, it stayed pretty cool.

4. A basement apartment with no AC. Sometimes it would get so hot, I would go to the nearby coffee shop to drink something warm to cool me off.

5. A large house with no AC. And since I had the upper corner room, with plenty of windows, the heat would rise and I would roast. Luckily I had the world's biggest box fan that probably sucks more juice from the electrical grid than Eastern Washington University itself.

And you know what sucks during the summer with no AC. Trying to sleep. I personally am a winter guy because you never have this problem in the winter because you're too busy freezing your butt off.

That problem is... sweating.

I hate feeling sweaty when I'm trying to sleep. It's quite possibly the worst feeling in the world. And since I live in the rain shadow of Eastern Washington, and since apparently AC has not come to this region of the country - this problem is always constant.

(And please keep your mind out of the gutter with the sweating and sleeping connection. I'll probably write some perverted blog about it later, so hold your horses)

I would like to raise awareness for sweaty sleeping in summer and would even suggest some sort of 5-step program where we pay Spokies to pour five-gallon jugs of cold (clean and Spokie-free) water on us at night. I definitely would be up for that.

Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment