July 28, 2009

Blue M&Ms are wonder drugs

I'm going to run out and buy a Costco-sized vat of blue M&Ms now. This is amazing.

(CNN) -- The same blue food dye found in M&Ms and Gatorade could be used to reduce damage caused by spine injuries, offering a better chance of recovery, according to new research.

Researchers at the University of Rochester Medical Center found that when they injected the compound Brilliant Blue G (BBG) into rats suffering spinal cord injuries, the rodents were able to walk again, albeit with a limp.

The only side effect was that the treated mice temporarily turned blue.

While I'm glad I can eat M&Ms and to say that I'm recovering from a spinal cord injury, I wonder how the hell the University got the backing to do a study on blue M&Ms.

"Gentlemen, we're breaking new ground in the study of M&Ms and we need your backing, please send your checks to the alumni office."

Actually if Eastern Washington University came out with studies saying that McDonalds was good for you, I'd send them a fatty check too.

1 comment: