August 13, 2009

Why Spokane is slow... stoplights

So I'm headed to work today and I came to the realization that I spend more time waiting at stoplights than I do actually driving. Perhaps I should switch my route to work but after the city of Spokane has decided to tear up every north-south road in the county, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Not only are their roughly 56 stoplights between my house and work, but they must be on some sort of sensor that causes them to instantly turn red when I near them. Then the same sensors must burn out since I find myself waiting at the light for 2 minutes while the opposing traffic does not go through the intersection (since it's Spokane and we don't have traffic).

Then in turn lanes, the stoplights apparently give you .235 seconds to make that turn before turning yellow and then red - meaning that a Jetta has enough time to almost cause a head-on and everyone else just has to wait in line.

Perhaps I've reached a point in my life where my commute actually plays a large part in my mood and how the day goes. If that's true, I think I've officially grown up.

And don't get me started on pedal bikes that think their motor vehicles that can ride down the middle of the lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment