October 9, 2009

I can't believe I was actually watching the UFL

The most anticipated... errrr ... minor football league since the XFL kicked off last night. Much to my surprise DAVE SIMS was doing the broadcast on Versus, meaning this league should be earmarked for plenty of overexcited calls on plays that don't really mean a whole lot. Kordell Stewart was doing some sideline reporting and he kind of reminded me of a slightly cracked out Spokie asking for change on the streets of Spokane.

Here's the game story from last night.

LAS VEGAS — J.P. Losman threw two touchdowns passes and Dede Dorsey scored twice to help the Las Vegas Locomotives win the first game in United Football League history, 30-17 over the California Redwoods on Thursday night.

A crowd of 14,209 fans attended the game at 40,000-seat Sam Boyd Stadium.

Keep in mind that even the XFL sold out its first game and that lasted only a single season. As far as the play goes it seems to go back and forth between terrible and decent. The uniforms look like they were intended for people taking acid. The production values seem a little cheap and no-thrills. One thing they do have going for it is that they have all the games streaming live over the internet for free.

Isiah Trufant, formerly of the Spokane Shock and the Eastern Washington Eagles, played for Las Vegas but I didn't actually see if he got into the game or made any tackles at DB. And I can't find a box score... so... lame.

Overall, I don't know if this is going to last longer than the XFL. But I may try out for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment