December 30, 2010

Good god, I can't believe I watched an entire half of women's basketball


Well that was exciting.

As much as we brought down UConn for their seemingly "meaningless" winning streak, when Stanford threatened to end it, people took a genuine interest in the game.

Judging from the tweets, facebook comments and people in the bar I was at that stopped what they're doing to watch the game, UConn's greatest did stand for something. Or at least it made women's basketball watchable. (Although the watchable part was making fun of how many open layups UConn missed)

Here's the thing I've always said about sports, no matter what sport it is, no matter who is playing in it, if there is a genuine emotional interest in what's going on, then people will pay attention. Take soccer for example, just a few years ago I would have told you that I'd rather go to the dentist than to a soccer game.

Then the Sounders came along, and I had a team from Washington that I could root for instead of some suburb town squad in England. The Sounders made things much more interesting and then I found out that the game of soccer is actually much more dramatic than I had originally thought.

With Stanford beating UConn, I think it makes the streak look even more impressive. Plus it allowed me about an hour to make Condoleezza Rice jokes about how she was clapping her hands way too much. Also judging by the lack of her talking to anyone sitting next to her, did Rice go to the game by herself?

In fact, I wasn't the only one making jokes. Everyone at the bar was throwing out their one-liners. (Now at this point you would say "Why are you making fun of the girls game?" We were not. We were making fun of it like any other men's game and that's half the fun of sports) With the way ESPN blew this up being the greatest Stanford win in history, the awkward post-game interviews with the 6'10" basketball players and Stanford's coach about to kill the sideline reporter for just continuing to ask questions about UConn, I'd say it was just as entertaining as any college bball game and certainly more exciting than the Bowl games that were on.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a letter to write to Diana Taurasi.

No comments:

Post a Comment