Texas A&M who won the Heisman Trophy. While the award practically earmarks that he'll be a first-round bust in the NFL, I still kind of want to know just who "Johnny Football" is. So after the wonders of Google and other sport sites, here's the idiots guide to Johnny Manziel.
1. His stat line is absolutely ridiculous - Sometimes, I feel the Heisman Trophy winner is a bit more about hype by a certain school than actual results out on the field. Not with Manziel. This guy is an absolute stud. Let's look at what he's done in his first year of college football: 3,419 yards passing, 24 touchdown passes, eight interceptions, 1,181 rushing yards, 19 rushing touchdowns. Let that roll around your brain a little bit, then add the fact that he's doing it against tough, practically NFL defenses in the SEC.
Tebow won the Heisman as sophomore when he notched 3,970 total offensive yards. Tebow is considered by some to be the greatest college football player ever (understandable, he did a lot for the Gators). Manziel has collected a whopping 4,600 yards by himself this season. Wowza.
2. He's apparently a folk hero in Texas - While playing for Tivy High School, he was compared by local sports writers to Brett Favre, Michael Vick and Drew Brees. He's also won basically every high school award in the book. This is important because he was still in high school just two years ago. His senior year of high school he threw for 3,609 yards with 45 TD and 5 INT. Rushing, he had 170 carries for 1,674 yards and 30 TD. On the 4A level. Good god.
3. He helped Texas A&M defeat No. 1 Alabama - Threw for 253 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 92 yards to help the Aggies upend the Crimson Tide 29-24 earlier this season.
4. He's undersized for an NFL-type QB - At just 6'1" and 205 pounds, he's not that physically imposing, but if you watch him on the field, he'll run at defensive players to freeze them and then get by them. He's been compared to a video game player. In other words, when you sit down to watch a Texas A&M game, you will be entertained.
5. He could potentially win three more Heismans - Seriously, even though its a tough SEC, he's got the talent and the team around him to do it. His hype might reach Tebow levels.
(Get a Johnny Manziel Jersey here.)