April 29, 2009

High School Sports Feature: Mariner High School Coach Resigns

I really feel like I'm piggy-backing now, first a story on the Royals, now following on Brandon's story about a high school coach stepping down. Next I might do a story on squirrels or sugar gliders....wait to late.

That's how it goes sometimes, but news is news and the Marauders (awesome nickname) of Mariner High School will now be looking to replace coach Dexter Griffen who has spent the last 11 years pacing the sidelines for the basketball team.

Griffen stated the following in the Seattle Times "Basketball is getting to be a 12-month-a-year job,". He also stated "I was getting a little burnt out. I noticed I didn't have the drive to keep going like I have in years past."

Griffen will continue teaching health and fitness for Mariner. With Griffen as head coach the Marauders had a 147-111 record and went to the state tournament 5 times, placing 3rd in 1999.

Keep your eyes open on college sidelines in the future as Griffen has mentioned he may pursue a career coaching at the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment